Download informational one-pager
Blockchain technology is developing as a powerful tool for recording, sharing, and securing data of all types. Originally conceived in 2008 as the ledger that underpins the cryptocurrency bitcoin, the technology has advanced in many ways since then and is being implemented to record transactions of all types. Companies of various sizes—from start-ups to Fortune 500--and across all industries are exploring how to use this new technology to improve their business. As they do so, they confront novel technological, legal, and business challenges that require thoughtful and innovative solutions from experienced industry experts along with blockchain research being conducted by universities.
The mission of the Blockchain Forum is to bring together business, legal and university leaders to learn from each other about blockchain technology and encourage its growth in North Texas.
The Blockchain Forum seeks to attract a diverse group of students, educators, researchers, lawyers, business professionals, and entrepreneurs who share an interest in blockchain technology and its applications. This will include people with background or interest in technology, law, and business.
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
11:30 - 1 pm
Armor Cloud Security
2360 Campbell Creek Blvd.
Richardson, TX 75082
Why digital currency is important to corporations
Speaker: Jon West, founder, Vercey Blockchain Consulting
Cryptocurrencies have a deservedly bad reputation. They have been used for several harmful and illegal activities. It is therefore easy to dislike them, write them off, etc. What if all of the bad stuff is getting fixed? What if one takes a look at what can be done with digital currencies that cannot be done with fiat? Answers to these questions begin to paint a very different picture for digital currencies.
Come listen to Jon provide answers to the following questions:
- What advantages to digital currencies have over fiat?
- Why will we see trillions of digital currency transactions?
- What is the potential economic impact of digital currencies?
- What are the different ways this will affect corporations and individuals?
- Why are governments beginning to support digital currencies?
- How will this impact corporations, banks, and individuals?
- How is university blockchain research helping industry advance? - Duane Dimos, VP of research, UT Arlington; Kirk Ballou, founder and CTO, Blocknerds.io; Murat Kantarcioglou, PhD, director, data security and privacy lab, UT Dallas; Ravi Prakash, PhD, professor, computer science, UT Dallas; Scott Mairs, partner, Empulse Technology Group; Venkatesh (Ven) Kumar, CTO, PepsiCo account, IBM; Cijoy Olickal, CEO, Plymouth.AI
- Blockchain and the business landscape - Brendan Cooper, director digital systems, Panini America; Jim Johnson, co-founder and CMO, Oaken Innovations; Paige Krieger, digital development representative, IBM
- Blockchain and the legal landscape - James A. Cox, of counsel, Jones Day, Zachary Lynde, CFO, Factom Inc., Lacey Shrum, attorney & founder, H7 Consulting
- Will Blockchain's technical problems ever get solved? - Mance Harmon, CEO/co-founder, Hedera Hashgraph, Paul Snow, CEO/fouder, Factom, Venkatesh "Ven" Kumar, CTO Pepsico Account, IBM Cloud